on 01/30/04 8:57 PM, jason kenjar at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I would like to start recording my mixes (2 tables and a mixer) onto
CD. Just
> a live capture as Im mixing.
>
> Im not that technically inclined and don't enjoy programming with
computers,
> so I would rather use some piece of equipment.  Is there a CD burner
out there
> that can burn a live mix? how about something on the average consumer
level
> for those of us (other listmembers included? ) that just perfer to
mix with
> records  < you know who you are burns ;) >

Hi Jason,

    I've had the chance to play around with a TEAC (not sure of the
model) and a Hitachi recorder (DV-W1). I've found both machines to be
pretty good for recording live mixes directly to CD without too much
fuss, although I prefer the Hitachi because of the DVD drive and the
interface. I basically use the recorder like a tapedeck, and it works
really well for that purpose. To use it you only need to plug the
recorder in to an output from your mixer/amp, set the levels, and hit
record. Easy :)

Some things that you might like to consider before buying one:

The Hitachi and the TEAC seem to have fairly similar features, although
the Hitachi has a DVD drive as its source drive, a CD recorder drive
for recording, and displays more detailed menus through the TV
connection. The TEAC has a CD drive as its source drive, and a CD
recorder drive for recording, but it does have an input level meter
display (which the Hitachi does not have), and some extra features like
automatic volume fading. For recording, they both require CD-R or CD-RW
Audio CDs, which are a bit more expensive than standard PC CDs. You can
play back either digital or audio CDs.

You can dub CDs, although this is done in real time, so it takes 80
minutes to dub a CD! (or 40 if you choose double speed). You can either
insert your own track markers while recording a mix, or if you're
dubbing, use whatever markers the source CD has.

Now to (some of :) the disadvantages...

When you're done recording the CD, there is a 1-2 minute 'finalisation'
procedure to turn the disc into a 'standard' CD so that it can be
played back on any CD player (it won't play otherwise).

If you're using CD-Rs, it's fairly easy to make coasters since you
can't undo anything. If you screw up the levels you'll probably get a
distorted recording, and if something goes wrong halfway through the
mix it generally isn't possible to fix it (although you could always
edit the recording on a PC).

The Audio CDs are more expensive than digital CDs, so you'll be paying
more per CD.

The recorder is expensive, at least in Australia, and you could
probably pick up a half-decent computer for only a little more.

Cheers,
Sven