edits edits edits.

the world went edit mad....

here's why i like edits:

normally theyre pressed nice and loud now, so someone can make an
edit of an LP track that might have not sounded too hot in the mix
and it will be nice and loud and edited for mixability.

all true. Usually. The sound/mastering/pressing on some of the later Ugly Edits however are crap-ola, and some of those originals aren't that hard to find clean copy of. I mean come on, some of these sound like they're playing in a felt shoebox. There are also good edits and bad edits, a (re)edit of said great track does not automatically make it's edit a winner, of course! There are lots of just kind of boring ones, though usually it will tip you off to discovering a cool original along the way you were unaware of.

ALSO, while i'm ranting, some re-edit types are getting really lazy about the TIME of the edits themselves, like the whole point of an edit (in many cases anyway) is to fix things and make it easier for DJs to use them effectively.. whether it's to extend a break or accentuate the cool weirdo synth squiggle line, or even drop a live player into the mix or add a punchier kick to it.. the point is a re-edit that drifts "out of time" to a sequence is just as annoying/challenging to mix with as an original that drifts out of time. If you're going to drop a classic into a program to add/subtract/sweeten it, can you at least sync it up a bit, to a clock or put it on a grid so it doesn't drift quite so much? I mean I mix old stuff all the time and it's drifting off time like a coked-up live studio disco drummer without a clicktrack... yes it's a risk but kind of fun (and scary) and a labor or love to DJ with records you KNOW you have to babysit throughout the entire mix to push it and pull it so the tempo stays in time. But should you have to do that with any re-edit worth it's salt? Hell naw... not to that extent anyway

Particular recent offenders: the Carl Craig re-edit of talking heads 'Once in a Lifetime' on Moxie (maybe it was an oldie done with tape cutting so if that's the case i'll forgive... otherwise COME ON CARL that thing is looser than the original!) And the Omar re-work of "set it out" is pretty rough, you can actually hear where the claps were meant to match up but double-up over each other, yikes. I'm not expecting perfection, just more attention "if you gonna do it do it right"... By comparision the 'secret mixes and fixes' and 'freestyle edits' do a good job of keeping originally out-of-time things more in time. Knowwhatimean? I guess "if ya want something done right, ya gotta do it yourself" ;) [This was also a message on one of Danny's old Balihu record labels]

and now someone edit this email by deleting it.

peace
--
Matt MacQueen
http://SonicSunset.com