Ron trent - Altered states

Timeless

From: Brendan Nelson [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: 09 March 2004 12:34
To: 313@hyperreal.org
Subject: (313) Do You Know Who You Are (was RE: (313) what's your
favorite track/album right now?)

Here's another track that I love right now - Virgo, "Do
You Know Who You Are".

It's not from Detroit so I get a slap for mentioning it;
however, to me it's a very good example of late-80s Chicago
music that almost could have been made in Detroit during
that period. I remember a discussion on here some time ago
about exactly what differentiated the electronic dance music
output of Detroit and Chicago (essentially, what differentiated
techno from house) and this track definitely backs up the
opinion that there was a lot of music being made in Chicago
then that could have been mistaken for Detroit techno, just
as some producers in Detroit were being heavily influenced
by Chicago house.

The synth strings on "Do You Know Who You Are" sound
classically "Detroit" to me, with that brittle emotion and
the combination of warmth and coldness that is characteristic
of the feel of early 313 techno. What other old Chicago tracks
can people think of that bridge the Detroit/Chicago gap as
effectively as this Virgo track does?

Brendan