i'd argue that the causal direction is the other way around - house (and
indeed a lot of black american music) came from a religious background.
there wasn't such a great difference between the music i heard on sunday
morning walking around harlem and the music i heard on sunday afternoon
downtown at body and soul.
james
www.jbucknell.com

             "Cobert, Gwendal"
             <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
             dvisors.com>                                               To
                                       <313@hyperreal.org>
             14/04/04 11:25 AM                                          cc

                                                                   Subject
                                       RE: (313) TP - was Re: (313) That
                                       Friday Question/Claude Young Mixes

OK,
thanks to all who gave me pointers ! Had a couple of listens, esp to the
Terrence Parker mixes on www.gospelhousemusic.com , interesting... guess
it's too house for me, though ; but the idea of having a genre that's
traditionnally hedonistic used for Christian promotion is a bit weird...
Gwendal