From: "Andrew" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <313@hyperreal.org>
Sent: Tuesday, April 20, 2004 5:47 AM
Subject: RE: (313) 909s

Hi,

----------------

> And the kick is essential, you cannot sample this baby.

Can you elaborate on this?

I'm not arguing with it.  I'm just not clear on the idea of an
"unsampleable" sound.

----------------

This can be explained by seeing that the 909 generates each kick tone
on-the-fly - it's an analogue synth tuned to make that sound. The 808 is
completely analogue, whereas the 909 has analogue generators for some sounds
(bass drum, toms, hi-hats) and digital samples for other sounds (clap,
rimshot). (I think that's right about those sounds, I still don't own one of
these things! Seriously need one, and an 808. Unique instruments.)

So, every time the bass drum fires off it is subtly different, and therefore
any sample is more like a photograph than the real thing. Also, there's the
timing engine to consider - the 909 swing is unmistakable, same with the MPC
swing - 62% baby!

Hope this helps,

Andrew