Hello to all,

On friday i went to the final frontier 10 year anniversary where Timeline
played a 2hr live set.
Timeline is Mike Bank's live project with some lesser know UR operatives -
Gerald Mitchell (not so obscure tbh) on keyboards, Raphael Merriweathers on
some sort of drum machine, Mad Mike on other keyboards and either Danny
Caballero or Santiago Salazar on turntables.
Well known UR tracks (the jaguar, jupiter jazz, afrogermanic, plus others
whose name escapes me atm but are also UR classics) were spun on the decks
as the others played live over and around them - spanish guitar synths
doodles led into the track played on the decks as Merriweathers bongo-ed and
tom-tom-ed away on his machine. The set started off with more of a house
style but steadily evolved into harder UR techno for maximum dancing effect,
but there was not much of a flow between each track giving it all a very
"live" feeling. A live sax appreared at one point making everything seems
even more like a jam session.
All in all it was a very high quality show, very danceable (especially the
second hour) and the notoriously tepid roman crowd responded very well.

The project seemed to want to make an explicit connection between 313's rNb
and funk roots and the UR techno/electro tradition. Both the long funky
introductions on the synths to well-known UR tracks and the whole raw jam
session atmosphere seemd to point in this direction.

And this takes me to the "no future (was re:future)" part of my subject
line. It seems to me that the major 313 players have totally forgone any
research in exploring "the future" as an aesthetic concept. Representing the
future through music is not an issue anymore, and conversely, exploring
one's musical heritage has become the focal point of many a producers
output. Take Carl Craig's Detroit Experiment project for example, or
Derrick's, Juan's and Kevins extended forays into house. And I add also the
Timeline project and Theo's Rotating Assembly. All these for me are evidence
of a desire on behalf of these artists to bridge the gap between themselves
and their location in the current time-space and (between) their influences
and the ghosts of their musical history. (These are just some examples and I
do not intend to analyse nor list ever single 313 release of the third
millenium... I am also deliberately ignoring electro - i feel it has become
a sort of neo-classical style of music, but that deserves a whole another
email)

On the other hand, I feel that european producers are much more preoccupied
with musically representing the future. They continue a long standing
tradition that dates back to New Wave and beyond that at one point became
infected with the futuristic outpourings from detroit. At that time, detroit
producers had tapped into the stream of music coming from europe and
re-intepreted it according their aesthetic sensibility.

If feel that now artists in detroit have forgone the futuristic
undercurrents of detroit techno to concentrating on re-exploring their
"traditional" influences in the light of an expired, digested (and therefore
encoded and engrained) futuristic attitude. Sorry if this last sentence is
not too clear, but its the only way I found how to express this concept :)

many thanks,
fabrizio
Citymorb Music
http://www.citymorb.net