just a quick short respons cause i'm in a hurry:

not all "80s rehash" is formulaic, (a very little) part of it can also be
seen as a long needed rise of the awareness of dance music history hehe

"the current obsession with all things frivilous" .. agree with you, but man
look at the 70s disco sleeves, song themes etc times were at least as
frivolous as today. 2 differences: no (r'n b) videos back then, they really
did it too

ciao