From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: 27 April 2004 4:17
To: 313 list
Subject: RE: (313) My take on Laurent Garnier

So is his entire career being judged on one night?  Seems that way from
what you're saying.

read this again - "an inexcusable half-hour" - a half-hour?! You're
complaining about a half-hour?!  Out of how much time all together?

christ almighty - let him try something different for a minute will ya?  It
might not have worked for you but maybe it was working for someone else.
if it wasn't working for anyone then so be it but don't f*cking crucify the
guy just because he tries something different than what you are expecting

this calls to mind the whole thing about the preconceptions we take with us
to shows and then if the event doesn't live up to what we want or expect it
"sucks" or the dj was a "disappointment".  For example, Stacey Pullen just
played here.  Even though I didn't stay for the entire event I heard from
others that he played a fine set.  He was well on his way to it when I was
leaving (don't ask - I was exhausted from work).
Now the next day I'm hearing from loads of other people that they were
disappointed with his set. Turns out they thought he was going to play
"TECHNO!!!!!!", if you know what I mean.
Most of the local jocks who call themselves techno djs were on the bill and
were all hyped about Stacey playing.  Well of course they were
disappointed. It's not his style but they thought that's what he would
play.

MEK

                      "Robert Taylor"

                      <[EMAIL PROTECTED]        To:       "Kent williams"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "313 list" <313@hyperreal.org>
                      4.co.uk>                 cc:

                                               Subject:  RE: (313) My take
on Laurent Garnier
                      04/27/04 10:52 AM

I was at the gig Martin was at and he was quite disappointing - He played a
'party' section as if he was a at a student's union. He played Out Of
Space, which was welcome last year at Sonar, but when he drops it in set
after set, the novelty wears off a bit. He played an inexusable half hour
of execrable nuskoolbreaks.  He also played some excellent stuff but he
certainly seemed a shadow of his former self -  every set was full of
surprises in the old days and he did seemed to be treading water on this
occasion - last year's Sonar set was one of my favourite clubbing
experiences ever, so I am not 'hating' him, just demonstrating why Martin
made those comments about him