From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

>But, and here's the thing. Can Metro Area really lay 'claim' to
that sound?

>Given, they were the first to update stuff in that manner, but I
wouldn't
>have said it was a 'new' sound, there's alot of records from the
early 80's
>that sound a lot like Metro Area in my opinion. David
Keaton's "Space
>Control" on Roulette sounds very Metro Area I think. There's
flippin loads,
>I can't even think of them off the top of my head, I'll have to
look
>through my records. I dunno, electronic boogie records are what I
call 'em.

i feel you on that, metro area are definitely very retro in their
sound. however, they mastered that atmosphere of detroit techno
and chicago tracky house that those old boogie records dont quite
capture. (speaking of those electro boogie records, theres a mix
CD out by kenny dope of old electroboogie cuts, mostly famous
stuff like "heartbeat" but still a really fun mix. i wanna start
throwing house/disco/boogie parties at a roller rink, but im broke
and theres no roller rinks in the actual city limits of
pittsburgh...)

>Having said that, I do think Metro Area is a very ace project.
I'd like to
>see it go further now, I reckon vocals and song stuff would go
brilliantly
>like this, and those two would make pretty great producers of
that sort of
>stuff I think.

erlend oye's "ghost trains" was produced by morgan geist and i
still play that damn near every time i deejay. ive been pulling
out more and more metro area and morgan geist cuts to play as well
recently, getting way too excited about the new one coming up.
ived also been working on some tracks that unintentionally have
ended up sounding like a bad knock off of metro area way too much.
i guess its a result of me listening to alot of the same stuff
they combined to make their music as well as having alot of
vintage synths, but its still annoying : )

tom

andythepooh.com