Hi,

             > By moving to mp3 (or something similar) small labels would
save the money,
            > that would otherwise go into pressing vinyl, and maybe make
some profit
            > again.
            >
            > But I definitely don't like this kind of future very much, as
I love to have
            > physical record to hold in hands and look at the artwork...

I think that it has a lot to do with how much the "digital lifestyle" takes
hold globally....
it is almost always the market that determines the success of the rate of
adoption of technology or any other consumerables IMHO...
there is a growing offering of high quality mp3 music, therefore generating
a greater demand for it. this in turn creates demand for players and final
scratch like thingies....

i find it interesting that in the US, where the digital lifestyle has more
of a foothold in mainstream culture, online commercial mp3 sites were
extremely successful from day 1, meaning that the US populace have no qualms
with paying X amount for digital music. it would seem that the US market is
ready for this type of services and generally accept music that is delivered
via un-conventional channels like the web...whether they are receptive to
underground independent electronic and mot music is a whole different
issue...

i for one am in favour of netlabels and the such (i am currently printing
the first release of my vinyl label and am at the same time also setting up
a netlabel...)  and i understand the music industry's (musicians & record
co.s) worries about IPR and royalty issues etc. But i feel that we are only
at the beginning of something that may revolutionise the way ppl buy and
listen to music and that intiatives like the Creative Commons license
(http://creativecommons.org/) are a leap in the right direction.
In the end i think that it really IS the market that decides whethere
something like this will remain a fringe underground netscene or develop
into a whole new paradigm in marketing music.

I have seen several netlabel releases by established musicians that release
their music on vinyl and cd....313's own Dennis DeSantis also has some
(excellent) releases on the Thinner label, maybe he can explain his views on
netlabels and his goals in releasing non-commerciable music in mp3 format.

interesting links:
www.scene.org - THE portal for the 'electronic art scene'  (sic)
www.textone.org - high quality netlabel and interesting articles and forum
www.thinner.com - high quality netlabel and good links