Not to imply that techno, especially Detroit techno, does not have a
universal appeal on some level, but it's taken moving around to help me
understand that music's appeal lies more than in just the art. The
cultural milieu, and the environmental surroundings have an important
impact as well.

Anyone else experience this?

yeah this is a variation of the 'what do you listen to in the summer' question but yeah living in Manchester (well Warrington, well actually Fearnhead, lol....y'know these are all 15 miles apart) means that it's raining all year round which for me is something in between house and techno :)

when i visited Sydney, Australia i could totally see how i'd probably listen to less techno if i lived there (it's very nice weather-wise in case you couldn't guess)....and this appears to be reflected in the music that is played in the clubs (that i was aware of....time for the Ozzies to chime in a prove me wrong :) )

robin...