I think you make some excellent points. In reference to your last point, would it really taint the festival so much to hire a guy to wrangle sponsors? Someone whose job it is to wrangle sponsors? A guy to lobby to the mayor to drum up support and money for the event? Artists don't have time for that type of stuff, not to mention I imagine pros could do it better. But like I always say, what do I know, I'm not the guy runnin' the show. Kent williams writes:
We can go on and on about Movement, and I don't intend to do that here, but
I have a few things to say on the subject:
1. There has been much criticism of Movement '04, some of it valid and
constructive, but every picture I took at the Festival had people smiling
in it. There was a vibe there that is rare.  That, to me, is the most
precious thing about the Festival.
2. Without discounting in any way the time, money, and heart Derrick May
put into the festival, the disorganization and last-minute drama didn't
help.  There needs to be someone involved with the festival who can sell
it to large-dollar sponsors, manage logistics, and get ahead of the curve.
Booking the lineup is the fun part, and only about 1% of the job.
Kevin Saunderson seems to be poised to take on this role.  I don't know
Kevin personally, but in the press conference he seemed calm, articulate,
and tactful. The fact remains that these guys are at the top of their game
in the studio or in the DJ booth, but the skills required to put on a 3
day festival are completely different.
Beyond that, everything I have to say about the festival has already been
said by Brian Mccollum in the Free Press. http://www.freep.com/entertainment/music/move1_20040601.htm