I think that music is a very pure form of human emotional expression and for
me, that product (in this case, the music I make) is cheapened when I attach
a price tag to it in any way.  performance is a whole different story.

when i first was confronted with this choice (release or not), I was very
excited and then realized I was excited because of the ego-feed of having a
record out.  I wouldnt have made much and the little fame means nothign to
me.  a life as a musician would not fulfill my long term aspirations, so I
decided taht I would be a part time audio mangler, and give it away for free
as long as anyone wanted to listen.  the only reason I continue to consider
release of any of my tracks is because it helps get more live shows, which
is what I really enjoy.

I dont think bootlegging is ok, because thats attacking some peoples
livelihood (the affected musicians) but I also think it should indicate to
the artist that there is a market gap to be filled.  you can either fill it
with undoubtadly higher quality re-releases and make money, or you can lose
the money, send expensive lawyers after the bootleggers, and end up broke
but with a whole load of artistic integrity.

no one has to agree with this, as I know its not a very common point of
view, but since you asked ... :)))

-Joe