"Techno Unit 32: Misc. Tracks" is a diverse, genre-wise, batch of techno
compositions, with the link being Kucharz's signature minimalism. Example:
Even when his tunes are pulsing and forward moving, there is a deliberately
subdued lack of aggression. Two perfect representations of this are "U969",
his "Drum  Bass  Strings" track, which is technically D but whose bass isn't
skull jarring and whose  drums aren't neurotically frantic, and "U310", a
hardcore (gabber) track, which,  as with the D, exhibits the personality of the
genre attached to it (each track is classified on the back liner notes) but in
restrained and subdued way -  folks, I present thee minimalist gabber! There
are handful of tracks labeled  "techno", along with a couple of dub numbers
and a house track ("four on the floor ... then three" Kucharz liner proudly
notes). The listener will also  discover what is hailed in the press materials
as
a new genre, progressive classical. I confess ignorance as to what
compositional technique pigeon-holes them thus, but they are tasty nonetheless.
All the
tracks here exhibit a pacing not found in Kucharz ambient works, considering
that these are more beat driven.

But, in line with the artists' minimalism, all of these - even the gabber -
are
imbued with a certain quietness that makes them capable of being relaxing
listening, as well. Of course, played in the car (or as the soundtrack to an
80s sci-fi flick, perhaps ... note: I'm not being derisive!), they also supply
the
listener with a subtle energy that doesn't barge its way into the ears. While
this side of Kucharz'  work, for me, doesn't reach the perfection of his
ambient efforts, it nonetheless stands four star artistic achievement.
Four stars    Kristofer Upjohn
(Kristofer Upjohn ([EMAIL PROTECTED] ) also writes for raves.com)
---------------
Armchair DJ Interview  “CLASSICAL TO TECHNO TO CLASSICAL”  Larry Kucharz
interviewed by Brian J. Dillard    complete interview at:
http://www.armchairdj.com/handler.asp?/features/interviews/larry_kucharz.asp
For Ambientrance Interview with Larry Kucharz goto:
http://www.spiderbytes.com/ambientrance/intkucharz.htm
available from BACKROADS MUSIC          toll free (800) 767-4748
email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]             website: backroadsmusic.com
also available: all ambient and techno CD’s of Larry Kucharz

mediadrome
international audiochrome, inc