I think Star Wars is a particular bugbear of yours partly
because so many people - especially in the world of electronic
music - like it so much ;)

The 1970s probably was Hollywood's heyday, but I'd suggest
that that was more down to the social backdrop in the US at
the time. Vietnam, severe recession, post-1960s souring of
the hippie dream - these all inspired a lot of the 1970s
movies that I myself still hold in extremely high regard.
My favourite film from the 1970s (and possibly my favourite
film ever) is "Network"; they very rarely make films like
that anymore.

Brendan