Techno *can* be past rather than future--one of my favorites
is the 1974 Gene Hackman film, 'The Conversation.'

Of course, films like 'Blade Runner' and 'Minority Report'
are always favorites, as well. Oh yeah... and I cannot forget
about the 1992 monster-casted 'Sneakers.' River Pheonix and
Dan Aykroyd were hilarious!

Matthew

-----Quoted Message Begins-----
I have been thinking about 'techno' films  - ie films that
the techno
community have adopted as part of their subculture - as
lately I've been
catching up on DVDs when I am too tired to do anything else
constructive. ;)

I guess hip-hop types have Star Wars but techno people I find
are into
Metropolis, Bladerunner and The Matrix - classic sci fi.

Personally I didn't quite get into The Matrix. It's very
strong visually -
and very clever - but I found it very cold and devoid of any
humanity and
the third instalment was infuriating with its inconsistencies
and poor
script. However, it is fun observing spots in the first as
though they took
out obvious Sydney features, it's clearly Sydney and I know
that Dymocks
store spot well. ;)

I much preferred Dark City, also shot in Sydney, with the
underrated Rufus
Sewell - who was so amazing as Stuart era super mack Charles
II recently.
Funny it came out before The Matrix...

Some others might be (or these are some of my faves):
Gattica (slept-on, what more can I say)
Artificial Intelligence (very simple yet profound, loved the
multiple
endings)
Minority Report (interesting, I almost warmed to Tom Cruise
in this role)

Anyway I am wondering if any of you esteemed people would
like to suggest
your favourite techno film/s.
-----Quoted Message Ends-----

Oakland University