 -----Original Message-----
From:   Stoddard, Kamal
subject:        RE: (313) If

to be honest, I'd have to say chicago. there was so much interaction in the
early days between the chi-town and detroit heads, as well as the oft spoken
about mutual admiration/respect held for each city by the other in the early
days. I understand the claims laid by the european cities as far as the amount
of support they have given techno over the years, but if detroit is held up as
the first city, then support cannot factor into the award at all (detroit =
support HA!). as far as contributions to the sound, chicago was a major
influence on the detroit sound (and vice versa) before any of the overseas
heads ever got ahold of it, and continued to be a major factor in the shaping
of the sound via labels like relief and their ilk. so i vote Chicago.

 the Berlin thing kind of disturbs me because as I see it, they were the ones
that misdefined techno to the world. Derrick May was talking about this in his
interview earlier ( "I have to redefine the concept of techno every time I play
because people come in expecting... hard edged abrasive intrusive,
into-the-cortex type music while I'm coming from a really melodic, rhythmic
high tech soul angle..." ) I think a large part of the reason that people
expect that non-melodic, abrasive, intrusive sound when they think techno is
because that's what they were taught by the Berlin school (okay stockholm too)
to expect. I laugh because even the creators of this music are trying to shake
off that stigma many years later. I don't hold any contempt for Berlin or any
of it's inhabitants (think it's one of the best places on earth right now
actually) but i just feel that berlin's contributions to the advancement of
techno (artistically speaking, not support-wise) are just recently comin!
 g into their own in the last 5 or 6 years. the berlin influence seemed to
hinder that advancement early on by narrowing the techno field of vision to
loopy aggressive bizness. dunno, guess i'm rambling now. hope I don't get
flamed for this one.

Kamal K. Stoddard
Turner Broadcasting Systems
Entech

 "Bebop was about change, about evolution. It wasn't about standing still and
becoming safe. If anybody wants to keep creating they have to be about change."