>Up Periscope.....
>
>Records I recall being played in Leeds at that time ..
>
>Corina - T Coy
>Too Far Gone - Adonis
>The Dance - DM
>Like This - Chip E
>We Rocking Down the House -
>House Nation - House Master
>Voodoo Ray - AGCG
>Pacific State - 808
>Lets get Brutal -
>Ma Foom Bay - Cultural Vibe
>Take Some Time Out - Classic Classic Arnold Jarvis Track.
>Cant Get Enough - Lizz Torres
>Rock to the Beat - Master Reese ?
>and of Course B I G  F U N !!
>
>This is before the 'Summer Of Love'.
>
>Then came acid and piano house and the media and the inner city kids moved
>on to the hip   hop and RnB scenes. I feel its remained pretty
>much the same
>since. It's a shame....as these scenes could and should imo co exist in
>Clubland.
>
>Hate to bring up the race thing as it's a can of worms but as white people
>got into house the black crowd moved out. This is simply an
>observation, but
>that's way it was.
>
>Rav
>
>....Down Periscope

It certainly looks that way. Of course, it's not 100% that way however,
evidently.

On the whole however, what you've observed is the age old problem of
prejuidice, percieved or actual - this can play itself out in ways which are
obvious enough.

Sometimes it really is there, sometimes it isn't. Not everyone's as
enlightened as they ought to be, not everyone can tell the difference. And
that works both ways too! Also, most people are conservative in deed if not
in mind, they stick with what they know and surface appearances are
everything, as is going along with the crowd.

The ironic thing is, of course, the African-American roots of a lot of this
music, including so-called hard techno! So you have a situation in which
people of colour in the UK and Europe are rejecting a music in which people
of colour in the US, played a large part (and still do). And this applied
even when the music was relatively new and therefore still more easily
traceable to those roots.