On 23 Sep 2004, at 14:47, Mann, Ravinder wrote:

No I wouldn't say its 100%. I mean I still like techno : ) But as a music that is African in its roots theres not many African decendants listening to
it. Go to a techno night and look around. It's clear to see.

Technically that isn't true tho is it.

As an example, my group of friends at the time 87 was made up of some White, Afro-Carribean, Mixed Race/Heritage, Indian, a Brazilian, a typical inner
city bunch from Chapeltown Leeds. We used party to Rare Groove, Funk,
Reggae, Hip Hop. There many other such possees from other part of Leeds eg
Woodhouse.

Then came this early house out of Chicago playing in a couple of mid week
clubs, we didn't even know how to dance to it !!. What is Jackin'

The Warehouse, a club with then a wide music policy started to incoorparate
these new sounds and it simply blew up.

But these inner city possees moved away from the very scene they developed.

But why ??? Here's my take..

Well it became cheese, overcommercial, uncool, piano house and divas, songs
like 'Id rather Jack than Fleetwood Mac'.

<pulls up a chair>

Thing is, you can't force people to like something, regardless of their colour. The whole point of Techno at the start was being faceless - that was the part of the point/coda and probably why most people didn't get it.

I'd guess the reason there aren't many black people in clubs is because they don't want to go but then again I never see any one legged, leper lesbian's with blonde hair at clubs either - wonder where they all hang?

One of the great powers of Techno in the early days was that it brought people together regardless of colour and class. The story of the White man coming in and FIU is as old as the hills. I'll be brave and tell you exactly what FIU - Greed, that knows no colour.

Martin