To view Mani's remarks with serious concern is neither to overreact to them,
nor to misconstrue them. The plain fact that his comments were ill
conceived, poorly phrased and badly judged is not something for those
offended to overlook, but for him to redress. Since he has made the decision
to post them on a forum such as this, then he must stand by them and bear
full responsibility for any insult they have caused. Moreover, it is not
wrong to view his comments as political in  nature, as the use of the term
"boycott" was , I believe, his. A "boycott" is a withdrawal from commercial
or social relations as a punishment, or protest (OED). Added to this, his
rant had more than a little of the tone of a rallying call to other US
promoters.

The only reasonable inference from his regrettable diatribe is that any
American promoter who books a European artist other than those few
specifically mentioned had better prepare for an overpaid, talentless
egotist to show up. While it may be clear to some who know Mani that this is
not what he meant, it is far from clear from his words, since this is in
fact what he said. This is clearly outrageous.

It may come as a surprise for you to hear that a great number of American
artists arrive in Europe underprepared, play sloppy and less than inspiring
sets, lazily play the sets they think Europeans want to hear rather than
music that faithfully represents their own work, yet do demand huge fees,
business class flights etc. (see your own list of complaints). This is if
they bother to show up at all. In Dublin alone, it has become something of a
gamble to choose to attend an event with an American headlining act. We
have, however, always viewed these as exceptional occurrences, and never
considered the option of a blanket ban on American acts. We continue to
support the music we love by booking American Djs and producers for our club
and annual DEAF festival, releasing work by American artists on our Dublin
based label, D1  Recordings, and music from Irish artists through the
Submerge distributed D1aspora. We also, of course, continue to support our
own homegrown talent, most of whom yes, have day jobs, and yes, often
outshine our trans-atlantic friends. In order to understand the European
scene, I respectfully suggest that a trip to Europe is indeterminably more
useful than a trip to India, particularly since said trip has given him the
impression that Europe is populated in the main by smug, self-satisfied,
indolent fatcats of little talent.

To add further insults to injury, the loss of American jobs to the Far East
due to corporate globalisation strategies is somehow another reason to be
not just angry, but "DISGUSTED" with the European electronic music scene.
This from a man who, we are told, has been doing some deep thinking of late.
We hope you can manage not to be too angry with European artists over the
loss of American jobs, since we have always managed not to be "DISGUSTED"
with the American techno community for Irish jobs moving to, among other
places, your spiritual home, India. Furthermore, Mani's ill-advised
publication of a limited "safe-list" of European artists rather
embarrassingly associates them with his xenophobic ravings. Fortunately, we
can spot the potential embarrassment, and ignore this. Less fortunately,
Mani did not.

Finally, it is saddening to hear that Mani "cannot sit by any longer and
watch what was created here [in the US] get redone and sold back to us at
import prices." Quite apart from dismissing the work of European artists as
a mere rehash of American music, which is an insult in itself and I'm sure
will raise an eyebrow even with those on his safe-list, he fails to
appreciate the influence Europe has had on American techno, and the valuable
support Europe has lent it. It is an unfortunate fact that since its
inception, American techno has enjoyed little interest at home, but has been
the subject of intense admiration in Europe. It is not the fault of
Europeans that the vast majority of American youth would rather listen to
Linkin Park than Kenny Larkin. Just as it is not the fault of Europeans that
the vast majority of Americans would rather watch basketball than soccer,
thereby forcing many American soccer players to ply their trade in Europe.
Or that jazz is enjoying a surge in popularity in Europe while suffering
difficulties in the US, its home. Now that techno is finally enjoying some
of the home support it has always deserved, it is wrong to try to
consolidate that support by shutting the door to the continent that has
helped it stay alive through the barren years of US indifference.

Eamonn :  D1 Recordings / D1aspora
Ireland

---