I'm really hoping something similar happens at Mutek next year. Not even necessarily all those same artists, even just the concept would be interesting to watch unfold.

And when I showed that picture to my boyfriend, he said "That looks like Hollywood Squares!".

From: Tosh Cooey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: 313@hyperreal.org, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: (313) Narodniki - The laptop supergroup
Date: Tue, 05 Oct 2004 01:07:19 +0200

http://www.bartleby.com/65/na/narodnik.html

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned this, but last Thursday was a performance by Narodniki in Berlin, which this time consisted of (Left to Right):

http://www.c4.ca/narodniki.jpg

Richie Hawtin
Max Loderbauer (Sun Electric)
Luciano
Ricardo Villalobos
Monolake
Zip
Scion/Vainqueur/Substance
Cabane

All played on their laptops, un-synched, at a tempo of 120 BPM, with the exception of Monolake who was the conductor, or better the controller, who used the mixer to determine which artists were being mixed with which and how. Zip and Ricardo also took a few moments to control.

The best way to describe it is free-form laptop jazz orchestrated by a perfectionist.

You gotta love European arts subsidies.

Tosh

Take advantage of powerful junk e-mail filters built on patented Microsoft® SmartScreen Technology. http://join.msn.com/?pgmarket=en-ca&page=byoa/prem&xAPID=1994&DI=1034&SU=http://hotmail.com/enca&HL=Market_MSNIS_Taglines Start enjoying all the benefits of MSN® Premium right now and get the first two months FREE*.