Well, things in Minneapolis are looking up. I would consider Minneapolis a
smaller city.
Within the last year we've had Stacey Pullen, Claude Young, Ghostly artists
numerous times, Merck has a presence here, Derrick May is scheduled as is
Dan Bell, Bunker artists were here not too long ago, Green Velvet has been
back and forth, Common Factor was here as well. I'm sure I'm forgetting...

We now have a regular techno night in a major night club - big room I might
add. In addition there are several smaller clubs that regularly book techno
artists. Many of them quite experimental.

I'd say that less than a handful of promoters have been responsible for
this boost in techno sounds.
There is a lack of diversity though amongst the available clubs willing to
open their doors to this sound. Too many are doing the usual meat-market
top 40 club. Either that or playing very safe house music.

Problem with Minneapolis is Chicago. Many artists overlook our city for
that much larger one.

These events are not an every day of the week occurrence and there are some
slow weeks but it's looking much healthier here than it has in a number of
years.
Still, compared to Europe... well it just doesn't compare. Generally,
people's awareness of artists has to be elevated and get out of the
conservative mindset.
Generally don't find that in smaller cities.
Who's responsibility is that though?
Record stores? Other DJs? Promoters?
Not sure

MEK

                      Tosh Cooey

                      <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>             To:
313@hyperreal.org
                                               cc:

                      10/06/2004 05:25         Subject:  (313) Electronic music
culture in America
                      PM

All the North Americans I know who have been over to Europe in the last
year
keep saying the same thing over and over, that electronic music culture in
America is dying.

No clubs, all the smaller cities are non-existent for a DJ/live
performance,
etc. how true is this?

I have seen some evidence via some of the labels I work with having trouble

setting up tours that get outside of New York, Chicago, San Fran/LA.

Is it really that bad?  What would some of the reasons be?  How would this
be
connected to the previous discussion about techno not selling?

Tosh

--
McIntosh Cooey - Twelve Hundred Group LLC - http://www.1200group.com/