Damn you kids with 116+ posts in a day. Anyway, in answer to Toshie's questions:

I think that part of it has to do with the way in which the discotheque tradition never completely died in Europe and continues today. When I was living in Toronto, the phrase "let's do something tonight" more often led to a round of beers at a pub than a night dancing. My experience elsewhere in North America has been similar. When you think about it, dance music's 'big break' in North America occurred as a repackaging of "American" (read: Chicago/Detroit/NYC) music by the booming European market. So we were getting into a European scene's re-reading of an earlier Chicago/Detroit/NYC scene, and it was fighting against the hostile post-disco legacy of the 80's in N. America.

Interestingly enough, the N American 'scene' that has kept up a strong tradition of dance music up until now is the gay club scene. The styles have shifted and you're more likely to hear 'tribal' and 'circuit' flavours rather than techno or chicago-styled house, but the tradition(s) continue. It was mostly in these scenes that the remnants of disco percolated and eventually morphed into the Chicago house and NY garages scenes, so I wonder if this scenario might replay itself again.

Hmmm.

Luis