I found it very hard, a lot of my young buddies studied Japanese here but
my generation did French and German. There's minimal signage and the Lonely
Planet book I had was misleading on that. The thing is the script is hard to
look up. You definitely need a contact.  I meant to visit the Imperial
Palace but got lost in the subway. ;) Also things like finding an ATM was
hard as Cirrus is not universal. You need to carry cash around in Japan. But
it is a wonderful place and on my own I felt very safe there. I missed
casual conversations but then I talk too much so 10 days of enforced silence
may have been good for me. ;)