So maybe you *don't* mean the guys from Oakland? (I think
that's right) but rather the loosely-linked collective of
broken beat/'nu jazz' folks in the UK, which includes  IIRC,
some members of Attica Blues, and which has in the past
sometimes gone under a similar name?

Nah I'm definitely talking about the oakland crew. I asked because my brother has been doing vox for them on and off for years and the recent album seduction @331/3 features some of his vox. Just seeing what folks think. He's dropping vox on some new techno/electro for me at the moment as he's now living in atlanta again.
Who're the guys from the uk that you mention?

Kamal K. Stoddard
Turner Broadcasting Systems

_______
I don't know much more about them then I said really. I'll admit to being a relative newcomer to the so-called 'West London' sound (I've really only started paying attention in the last 3 years.)

I'm a bit puzzled about the 'uk/intelligent techno' bit of your subject, but I sort of see where you're coming from (unless I missed something, not being sarky, I probably did).
:-).

I've also been pretty much 'floored' as you were, ever since I got my head round that first LP 'Seduction at 33 1/3.' It's not the most accessible first LP ever but repeated listens are well rewarded. It's diverse and deep stuff encompassing elements of hip, hop, jazz, blues, r'n'b/soul, cinematic themes (yes!) and even explicitly African rhythm patterns and sounds. And of course that all-important and all-pervading atmosphere of experimental electronics. For me, that's where the characterisation as 'intelligent techno' can be correct. (However, I think it's correct for lot of music which some people wouldn't agree on, notwithstanding the slightly bemusing implications of the term - i.e. the old insinuation that some techno is 'dumb' techno - no comment on that.) It's pretty easy to see why the group's music has been embraced not only by the sort of broken-beat crowd as much as by people (like me) from - but not attached exclusively to - the school of the 'classic' techno template. We will tend to be over 30 years old, by default I guess. This is perhaps why Blaktroniks tracks have been (re)mixed by producers as diverse as Domu, Mike Grant and Move D. Whilst I know that the group had an enthusiastic response in Germany, where there's a pretty deep tradition of 'urban' guys from America performing 'wierd' music, we all know that despite our little 313 world, and a little beyond, it's not necessarily appreciated in their home town. (Or state for that matter.) Also, having a well-known writer on electronic music single them by saying their first LP sounded 'like a demo' didn't help either! ;-). (I personally like some releases which sound like 'demos'!). A major element of that first LP was that sort of sketchy quality on *some* tracks. They sounded live. I think this is deliberate. I personally didn't think it detracted from how much I liked the tracks. The instrumental tracks sounded as 'finished' and dance-floor orientated as most things, to me, however I know the Mike Grant reworked versaion of 'Raindrops' (making imo an already strong track, into a good 313-house track) got them some attention around these parts. I'd suggest anyone who liked that, to check out the LP. It's on CD only alas, although there were some 12s on Moving Records, which included quite a few of the LP tracks. I'm still intrigued and eagerly await what Blaktroniks might do next. To hear the most recent (I think) manifestation of where they were at check out this: http://www.discogs.com/artist/Blacktroniks. (The group is listed on discogs site under two different spellings! That's discogs for you.) That EP on Reflective was much more in-your-face-electronic and club orientated, with sort of Chicago Underground Council meets Co-op beats.

All in all, whilst I think it will take some time, I still do believe that a deeper cult appreciation, and beyond, of what Blaktroniks do, will come, on the strength of what I've heard by them so far.