I disagree with Simon Reynolds here; he's arguing that an
individual is solely defined by their race, class, gender,
sexuality and whether or not they're planning on getting
wasted. Human beings just aren't that simple. If someone
says to me, "I'm a gay white male with a lower middle-class
background and I don't take drugs", I still know barely
anything about them. Aside from "pure ideation", there are
a hell of a lot of other factors that come together to define
an individual, and these myriad factors also help to shape
whatever cultural output (including music) that individual
produces.

If Reynolds was correct, music would be incredibly homogenous.
Another person who shared my racial/class background, my
sexuality and my penchant for Guinness would make music almost
identical to mine. But for some mysterious reason, there are
people I grew up with who have *identical* backgrounds to me
but who produce and listen to completely different forms of
music. Weird, eh?

Brendan