well let's see.... since i haven't bought a record in an actual store in
god knows how long, this info might be outdated.  however, for music i
would recommend Amoeba on Sunset @ Cahuenga, This Is Music on Melrose,
and Vinyl Fetish on Vermont in the Los Feliz area.  I think there's a
Vinyl Fetish on Melrose as well but i aint never been thar.

Music equipment: definitely Black Market Music on La Cienega, West
Hollywood.  It's a used gear place but almost always home to some
unusual find; great place to browse.  West LA Music, on Santa Monica
Blvd in (you guessed it) West LA.  Excellent place for new stuff, good
people.  Know the price of whatever you're shopping for before you go
in and they'll match it.  And if you're feeling very motivated, Big
City Music (bigcitymusic.com) in Studio City has a lot of analog and
unusual stuff.

seeing as i'm a lot more irish than greg is scottish, there's lots of
places to celebrate alcoholism but i'm sure you won't have any trouble
finding bars.  clubs nearly all suck.  and that also depends on where
you're staying.  LA is not what you'd call small.

-garrett