also on pow wow trance: jeff mills 'late nigh/berlint' with wildpitch mixes
from dj pierre
james
www.jbucknell.com

             Forrest L Norvell
             <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
             et>                                                        To
                                       313@hyperreal.org
             01/02/05 11:14 PM                                          cc

                                                                   Subject
                                       Re: (313) No Movement 2005?

On Fri, Jan 28, 2005 at 08:19:20AM -0500, Matt Kane's Brain wrote:
> there is a compilation of detroit releases called "Deep Detroit Vol 1:
> Techno-Soul" (there was never a vol 2) released on Pow-wow Trance.
>
> http://www.discogs.com/release/98409

Actually, there was a Deep Detroit Volume 2 (subtitled "Magic
Tracks"), with tracks selected by Juan Atkins, also on Pow Wow
Trance. Volume 1 was a rebadged version of the Eddie "Flashin" Fowlkes
Techno-Soul compilation on Tresor, but I've never really been sure
where volume 2 came from.

Those two comps contain some of the funnest Detroit music ever,
including (most especially) "Flash Flood" by Infiniti (probably my
favorite Juan Atkins track, aside from maybe the Maurizio remix of
"Think Quick"). I sure love them! They still pop up used from time to
time (even on vinyl, although the vinyl versions pack too many tracks
to a side).

Directly related to this thread is the Eddie Fowlkes-compiled _Trance
Tekno Express_, which even has "Trance" in its name. Taken together
with the two Deep Detroit compilations, it's the best summation I've
heard of where Detroit was at in the early 90s. I still listen to all
three all the time. Obviously at the time (1993) Detroit people didn't
have problems with the word "trance".

The original US version of Jeff Mills' _Waveform Transmissions Vol. 1_
was also issued on Pow Wow Trance. For a while there, Pow Wow Trance
had an interesting licensing deal with Tresor. They also had a good
one with ACV, issuing probably the best single-disc Robert Armani comp
ever made, and reissuing Leo Anibaldi's _Canibald_ as _The Virtual
Language_ (and losing the awesome ACV edition's gatefold art). The
main thing that characterized the Pow Wow Trance CDs was awesome music
and absolutely terrible cover art & design.

--
       . . . the self-reflecting image of a narcotized mind . . .
ozymandias G desiderata     [EMAIL PROTECTED]     desperate, deathless

ForwardSourceID:NT00018BE2