If you are in town on Saturday, french minimal producers Ark and Krikor are
playing out at the Blue Cube downtown and there is an underground free-tekno
party that night too. Email me if you want info.

I agree, Amoeba is the mackdaddy. but not necessarily if you want the latest
stuff. It's more about albums and the hunched over 12" hunt there. They also
have a store on Telegraph Ave. in Berkeley with slightly less selection.
Tweekin actually has a decent selection of techno but I don't know about their
mixtape selection (isn't that what we have this list and affiliated websites
for?). They only carry really new stuff and you pay for it, as compared to
Amoeba or Open Mind Records where you can get great deals on singles that were
hot a year ago. I picked up Blackwater and Abe Duque at Tweekin recently for
example.

Next to Tweekin is the Future Primitive store where you will find trendy
graffiti and hiphop shirts set up in a gallery fashion. Not my thing, but it's
a popular spot and has quality urban art displayed. It used to be a drum and
bass shop called Compound but I guess nobody likes that crap like they used
to.

And around the corner down the hill a little on Steiner street you will find
the clothing store Upper Playground which has a lot of hip, Vice magazine type
street wear mostly made by local designers if that's your thing.

If you are a gearhead you should check out Robot Speak on the other side of
Tweekin. It's like Guitar Center but just focused on the home dance music
producer market. Lots of vintage machines like 808s, 303s, Korg vocoders and
moogs as well as the latest vst instruments and software, and weird "circuit
bending" custom electronic noise making thingamajiggers. There are always
different synths set up to play with in the store and every few weeks they have
classes on different software/hardware.

Open Mind is a great, great store that i've mentioned on the list before and is
somewhat in trouble financially so go support em. The techno/house buyer is
John John and he's a real down to earth and knowledgable local lounge dj. They
have the Ugly Edits series, and a used dance section sorted by labels including
classics like Trax, DJ International, and newer labels. They also have a ton of
hiphop and funk/soul records. They have a smaller selection of new and used
cds. They are a little pricier than Amoeba, $3.99 for a 12 as opposed to .99,
but they have listening stations and less crap pop records to go through. They
are on Divisadero, a block north of haight street.

Another great store for new records is In House Records tucked away on the
second floor on Mission st. between 5th and 6th. Again, not sure about the
mixtape selection. Of course, they focus on house but they have alot of the new
crop of techy house type stuff like perlon, playhouse, etc. The guys there are
really helpful and are very in touch with the club scene and what djs are
playing out. They have a nice lounge area to smoke out and mix records at. it's
a great atmosphere and they get new records on Wed. I think. Also quite pricey
though (compared to used stores of course).

For "rave" clothing and merchandise you could check out Ceiba in the lower
Haight street area. It's like a psychadelic trance culture store (sounds scary
and it kind of is, but nice people and cool video art in the store).

jamie
http://www.hurlbotics.com/mp3