Well said!!! If you all were at the festival last year and got the good chance
to hang around the Surgeon's tent at any given time I think you would instantly
understand why booty is so unique and special. The kids love it, and I'm not
talking about your raver/techno/indie/counterculture kids. The hiphop kids go
crazy breaking over it, it's fun to dance to and for the spotters it's
technically amazing to watch. The Surgeon is super professional, has a great
costume and sells candy from his tent along with the mixtapes that fly out the
door! It's a real grassroots culture and I think it spreads the raw energy of
techno/house to skeptical working class folk that would otherwise dismiss it.

For clean techno style booty I would recommend "Sweet Potato Pie" by Mr. De.
Also, Mr. De's Ohnleeone is good for atmospheric r and b influenced booty
(sample from Floetry's big hit so it potentially could go over well with hiphop
kids). For the slower soul/jazz end of booty I would recommend the Rennaissance
Do It To It track from the electrofunk crew.

There are also occasionally positive mesages in booty tracks. But not positive
messages like Nancy Reagan commanding us to "SAY NO" to drugs, but
positive "keeping it real" messages like Huey Newton saying people need to take
control of their community by fighting back against the police when they abuse
people. Off the top of my head, that Ponytail track comes to mind which talks
about how people prioritize shallow appearances over their responsibility to
their loved ones by spending checks on unimportant things. Of course, that
could perpetuate the right wing myth that welfare mothers are destroying the
economy not the corrupt CEOs who make all the decisions. But then there are the
disturbing tracks like "I swear when I get home I'm gonna kill the bitch" even
though it uses a great Sweet Dreams sample (get the instrumentals if you don't
like the lyrics), and the disgusting misogynistic tracks like Nasty's "I'm not
your Baby Daddy, I'm just a Sperm Donor". To me, that's just too close to home
considering the huge problem of derelict father's we have in our inner cities.

jamie (not from the hood) hurlbut