alex, that was basically what i lived through......i was in the uk then (oxofrd) and it was massive, it seemed that that was the only sort of music available to dance all night to. it was also my first exprience with going to proper undeground rave clubs and free parties (think spiral tribe), taking drugs and i was a student far from home. before then i had only been exposed to different types of house music, thanks to loryD, in a under-18s saturday afternoon club populated by rome's rich kids.

today, with the sort of musical background i hav elived through, i actually think hardcore is more of a joke than anything else. i even tried downloading some altern8 to see if i could still get into it, but its pointless.

like i said in my original post, i enjoyed rob hall for the novelty nostalgia effect, nothing more nothing less

fab.

To: <313@hyperreal.org>
Sent: Thursday, May 05, 2005 7:23 PM
Subject: Re: (313) detroit, may 12, autechre(live) + SND(live) + robhall(dj)

you can all feel free to talk as much sh*t as you like, but i like
the early happy hardcore very much. that energy of like 93-96 in
jungle and hardcore is unmatched in any other genres of music.

I think the 'energy' comment is very much a subjective thing Tom.

i.e. you think it is, I don't.

but, you're confusing matters. I'm talking about music from 1991 or so.
which then evolved into other things. this music was HUGE here as a youth
culture thing, you couldn't escape it.

Dan Butler and Gary will tell you - where I was living at the time, it was
slap bang in the middle of all this, and it was far far larger than any
musical sub genre you get today. i.e. 'the garage' thing or whatever.

at school, virtually the entire year used to go to 'raves' where they
played this music, it was post acid house explosion etc, and the music was
changing, it wasn't that US sound any more, it was home grown. it wasn't so mixed up either, yeah, there was still a mix of dance musics, but the focus
became narrower from that point onwards.

yeah jungle and hardcore is energetic - but so obviously so - thats why it
got so popular, it's hardly subtle music is it tom? the thickest cultural
dullard going could work out that this was energetic music. there was no
deep side to it. thats why it got so universally popular so quick.

but anyway, I dunno what I'm rambling on about so much.

This e-mail is sent by the above named in
their individual, non-business capacity and
is not on behalf of PricewaterhouseCoopers LLP.

PricewaterhouseCoopers LLP may monitor
outgoing and incoming e-mails and other
telecommunications on its e-mail and
telecommunications systems. By replying
to this e-mail you give your consent to such monitoring.