From: Melody Ng [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: 25 May 2005 00:16
To: fab.; 313@hyperreal.org
Subject: RE: (313) is there such a thing as plagiarism?

Hi Fab

This answer is assuming that the label is in a country that offers
copyright protection...

The example you give isn't just plagiarism, it's (potentially) a breach
of copyright. What may constitute a breach of copyright includes
reproduction, performing/ playing, communicating it, or adapting a
"substantial part" of the work. What constitutes a "substantial part"
depends on a case by case basis but the important factor is that it is
recogisable and distinctive - I'd imagine a loop would be quite
distinctive.

If I were your friend I would write a letter to that label again,
outlining those facts and ask for some remuneration for the use of that
loop.

In terms of 'code of conduct' etc relating to making of music using
samples/ previously recorded material, anyone who is making this music
who wants to release it commercially should really go out and try and
get those licences first hand. The Beastie Boys were talking about that
in an issue of Wired earlier this year. I can't remember what specific
cases there are out there, but I seem to recall that even though you can
argue that the adaption is a whole new original work, courts around the
world are usually on the side of the original copyright owner. It's not
very practical, but the only way to resolve these things is through the
courts, and no one wants to have to go through that.

On a practical note, and I know this sounds really anal retentive, I'd
make sure that any letters I send out to labels in future clearly stated
that permission needed to be sought before use; or alternatively state
very clearly that it's for listening and review only and for no other
reason. For non-commercial releases, I suggest a Creative Commons
licence.

Cheers
Melody