a bit strongly put tom but i think you'd be hard pressed to find anyone, who buys the kind of music we do, that hasn't *ever* bought a bootleg. (as well as copying the occasional cd, tape etc etc. everyone's done it.)

when you look at the situation without trying to find a side to sit on it has to be said that it's impossible to justify bootlegs without pulling the economic excuse, which just isn't a valid one.

that said, at least there's a positive side to this (from a record buying point of view). we've seen a lot of legit rereleases from labels like planet e and artists licensing to properly done compilations that could have possibly have been encouraged by the fact that demand for bootlegs exists.

robin...

On 4 Jun 2005, at 15:52, Thomas D. Cox, Jr. wrote:

i know for a fact that people on here who own small electronic
labels have bought bootlegs. how do you explain that? are they
just assh*les?

tom

From: Klaas-Jan Jongsma <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date:  Sat, 4 Jun 2005 13:54:40 +0200

No it's not... it is not OK to bootleg records in the first place.
The music is the intellectual property of the writer/producer, they
have the rights to decide what is going to happen with there music,
not someone who has absolutely no involvement in his music
whatsoever.

Excuses like 'well he released the record once but i can't find
it so
bootlegs are ok' are not valid...ever. All of the artists on
Virtual
Sex are still very much alive but guess what... no one asked them
and
no-one will pay them sh*t. If you think you want to release a track
from an artist go and ask his permission to do so, if he says no,
respect that choice because it is his music, he made it and it is
not
some public property. But guess what bootleggers don't do that
because a) they are way to lazy for this or b) to greedy or
probably
a combination of these 2.

Also don't come-up with excuses like well they should have taken
care
that there records are still available but apparentlyyou never
tried
to run a small independent record label. Most record labels are
very
short on cash, and taking a gamble on releasing a record is a big
one, they might loose lots of money if they sell just 200 instead
of
500 or whatever you invested. So picture this you are an artist and
you have to choose between releasing some exciting new material or
some classic you made 10 years ago... what would you do?

So now can we quit this discussion on bootlegs and stop making up
excuses to tell that bootlegs are good because they aren't.
Bootlegging it just greedy... if you really want to buy them that
is
fine but don't come to me telling me that bootlegging is a good
thing.