At 09:50 AM 6/21/2005, Stoddard, Kamal wrote:
To bw honest, jeffs stuf isn't really too far off from hearing an orchestra go into one of those totally staccatto songs where the sounds start to bounce and stuff. I could se it, but then again it would probably just sound like an orchestra covering mills. So? Only intellectually exciting due to the novelty of the concept. I couldn't see myself reeling from the impact though. That said, you'd be surprised to hear some of the sounds that classical musicians can come up with given the freedom, and if they really let the musicians play their intruments in non-standard ways to achieve some really techno sounds (sliding a bow lengthwise down a cello, really fast)....then we might have a very techno moment my friends.

My high school band director was fond of playing pieces like this. He even commissioned a few. We had to do the following:
-talk, sing, and breathe through my instrument
-Use brake drums, chairs, and sections of railroad for percussion
-Disassemble instruments while continuing to play them
-walk through the audience (lights off) pointing flashlights at people, yelling "VOODOO" -take chimes (the long metal tubular ones) by hand, smack them with a mallet, then lower them into a bucket of water to lower the pitch
-toss rubber chickens around
-play a gong with a bow
--
/* Halley */ (Halley's comment.)