On Sat, Jun 25, 2005 at 12:21:08PM -0000, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> From: "Tristan Watkins" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: A reasonable compression rate?
>
> The storage requirements for 1000 records at 24 bit 96 KHz would be =
> astronomical. IIRC, I mixed down a 6 minute track to 32 bit 96 KHz and it =
> was over 300MB! If you actually decide to encode an average of 2 =
> tracks/record that would require ~600GB. 1500 records and you're nearly at =
> a terrabyte (don't even worry about albums for now).=20
>
> Even if you're thinking that hard disk space is cheap these days, the =
> backup requirements are crazy. Plunking that on DVD's you've got an =
> organisational nightmare, and if you're thinking of using a NAS, a =
> terrabyte is bloody expensive.=20

Nice point Tristan. I agree with you that \emph{today} some of these
numbers sound obscene, but they will not in, say, 5 years time.
And if I am embarking in the mission to digitalise a lot of music, I
want to do it right from the first time.

Personaly, I will never dispose the vinyl I like the most. But I want to
digitalise because 1) I am living abroad now and will for some time,
maybe changing location a couple of times. It is hard to carry around a
lot of records, but much easier to carry, say, 40 DVD-Rs or 2x200GB HD
(2x to get it mirrored, 200GB in 24/96 gives 100 hours of music, which
then can be easily compressed...)
2) I often buy records which I end up not enjoying, or maybe buy without
listening at all (through internet, etc). Digitalising is a way of
keeping the music and allows me to sell these records.

In the long term terabyte storage wont be that expensive and we will be
able to afford with or DIY terabyte NAS or disk-servers.
If you are really mental and rich, one of those nice robotic tape
jukeboxes would do the job even today.
Since network connection is getting faster and cheaper, you could get a
central server, with all your collection digitalised, and allow your
friends to access it, giving them the choice of final bitrate
(compressed from the originals in your server), but this is another
history...

Anyway, a shuffle feature through a whole collection sounds great.