From: darnistle <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

>I was into disco in the 70s and when I first heard hiphop I
didn't see
>any commonality between it and disco.
>
>I still don't see the connection between early hiphop and disco,
unless
>the comment "making their own kind of disco" is synonymous with
"making
>their own kind of dance music" in which case the only real
commonality
>is that they're both forms of dance music and has little to do with
>disco per se.

obviously i wasnt even born at the time so i wasnt there to be
able to agree or disagree with you, but your perceptions aside,
hiphop obviously took alot from disco. from the deejays using the
breaks from disco cuts as well as funk cuts to fact that sugar
hill released many disco cuts. its all interrelated! just looking
through the productions of the people who made
electro/boogie/disco/hiphop and seeing all the common names
(arthur baker is one very big one, but most of the big names did
stuff in all of those genres) will show that the relationship was
quite strong indeed.

tom

andythepooh.com