(I'm deliberately over-quoting here)

Ken
******
<Geek mode: enabled>

The old Digest was completely broken and I'm glad it's been
fixed.  The old Digest did not recognize MIME types and
everything was bludgeoned into 7-bit ASCII (plain text) and
so anything that wasn't plain text (quoted-printable, or
base64-encoded, in MIME-speak) was rendered illegible in the
old Digest, as I've posted about several times.

The new Digest is "correct" - its MIME type is correct
(multipart/digest), and each message is delineated with a
proper MIME Content-Type (message/rfc822) and
Content-Disposition (inline, with a filename).  They are
most definitely NOT "attachments".

Notice the "inline" - a proper mail client will show you
the new Digest as a continuous message ("inline"), with
proper MIME handling.  Apple's Mail.app shows it properly,
as does Mozilla Thunderbird.  (Thunderbird not only shows
it as a continuous message, but it also shows each individual
message as a clickable link at the bottom of the frame,
so you can jump to an individual message - if you knew which
one you wanted to jump to, that is.)

The Digest isn't broken - it's Outlook that's broken for
thinking properly-formatted MIME digests are a bunch of
"attachments".  (I'll fire up Entourage - the Office
equivalent to Outlook Express - and see what they look
like in that client.)

        - Greg
*****

Ladies and Gentlemen: we are now in outer space! ;-)

Seriously, I think most people here will understand that as much as I do
(i.e., barely.) Could I ask for clarification, or at least a simpler,
jargon-free description next time? No offence intended.

Ken