A Brief review of the 2nd Annual Decibel Festival in
Seattle... see http://www.decibelfestival.com/2005/

Overall, it was really great.  The folks that put this
on were friendly and helpful, very organized and made
it really worth going to especially for folx on
the West coast. I was really inpressed cause the scene
there seems alot smaller and alot tighter than here in
the Bay area and it seem like a bunch of different people
really came together to make it happen, without
corporate sponsors/with a budget that seemed like it
was mostly put into bringing great artists. I missed
the clinics and alot of stuff, cause I spent a lot of
time walking around the city and spent alot of the
weekend both tired and wired on coffee.
What I did go to, was very good with great sound and
interesting line ups.
Friday night...Shitkatapult vs. Detroit
showcase...Derek Michael (detroit)and Jerry abstract
(seattle) were the highlights, great live sets that
were solid idm techno.
Saturday night...Mutek showcase...
Bruno Pronsato (seattle) was really good minimal
techno was excellent use of cut up vocals and just had
a really good funky sound that was fun to dance to.
Then DEADBEAT came on and stole the show, he is one of
my favorite live acts right now. He mixed Dub, dnb,
minimal techno, weird undefined sound structures with
great melodies and two tons of bass, check him out at
all costs.  Akufen was eh, ok some good moments but
too house cluby for my taste, but other folks seemed
to love it.  A little disappointing, he was better the
last time I saw him in the detroit.

Sunday Day...Kranky Vs. Ghostly ambient showcase...
located in a college theater, just music and video and
space out time.  LOSCIL (bc canada) was interesting
very melodic sort of like burger inc light, good stuff
for sleeping to.  AEROC (barcelona) geoff whites ambi
hip hop project was so funky and crazy interesting i
couldn't sit still, it could have worked at one of the
dance events as well, he is really good.  PAN AMERICAN
(richmond, va) closed with a stunning set of half
live/have electronic jams that reaked in melancoly
watery dreams, they actually reminded me of zoviet
france meets tarintel.  Great thoughtful stuff.

Sunday night...Headfunk showcase...Tipper, I never
actually need to hear him again, seriously never ever.
 People seemed to love him, but me no way, so 2001.
Anyway I was spend and though Thomas Feldman seemed
like he was having a good set minimal house tech, I
had enough that night.  That is why I am not a music journalist.

The festival had some nice outdoor video instalations
and I hear a number of djs around and about at bars
and in the park in front of the theater and I went to
one afterhours party.  There was some interesting
music from misc. seattle djs, but I heard some pretty
uninspired sets, but it was nice that a lot of folx
got to play and felt like a community effort.
Anyway that is the long review.
cheers.
tomkat