On Fri, October 21, 2005 6:16 am, Odeluga, Ken wrote:
> I'm one of the peeps who rave about him Dan so watch it! ;-)
>
> I love that 'Butterfly' track on the Beatdown comp and I can't
> understand why anyone thinks it's naff. Listen to the virtuousity of his
> phrasing counterpointed against the of the percussion line. Magic!
>
> I have started to notice his phrasing even when he's not credited - for
> instance - on the earlier editions of Mike Grant's 'Cool Peepl' version
> of Shari Vari (on the Puzzlebox comp and later on the 10" white label).
> This tells me he ain't no common or garden keys man or pre-set merchant.
> (Amp Fiddler is another one who plays quite recognizable shapes, albeit
> a bit less so given that he's more 'synthy'.)

i really do like his records. theyre not anything super special as far as
it goes, but he does seem to have a knack for some sweet melodic business.
ive got the 3rd ear record, the painted pictures 12", and the stuff on the
still music and beatdown comps. however, his live show at the afterparty
this year that i think fred mentioned earlier was very under practiced. he
needs someone familiar with setting up a live electronic performance to
help him out. he was using what sounded like generic keyboard drum track
presets and singing and playing over it. his vocals and playing sounded
nice, but the triteness of the drum sound and patterns made it almost
unlistenable. i do really like the track he played on on that still music
comp....

tom