On 2/17/06, Sakari Karipuro <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Well. i admit being a bit troll-y in my previous post, but i was, and
> still am, really let down by this track. The "melody", "the bassline"
> are both really horrible sound-wise, really cheap and cheesy. the
> "organ" -like jamming somewhere there is quite nice but it's the only
> decent stuff in this track.

have you heard the original track? i mean, carl may have chosen the
sounds but he's just replaying theo's parts.

> The kickdrum has no bottoms

it doesnt need it. i mean we can get into a discussion about mixdowns,
but if you have a bassy kick and a bassline at the same time, they
clash frequencies and you get lots of farting. the track has plenty of
bass so its a tradeoff.

> it's too
> uptight, the build-up is really cheesy and quite un-eventful and doesn't
> really go anywhere. And the main synth really reminds me more of
> euro-house/trance..

i guess the buildup might be cheesy. its not like a snare roll buildup
with epic trance synths or anything though.

> But the overall feeling i get this from track is very
> progressive-housey. Then again i'm not feeling a lot of this
> "tech-house" or whatever it's called nowadays. Most of the stuff sounds
> so weak and emotionless, lacking groove and funk (which has plagued
> "techno" overall for the whole 00's i think).

i feel you on that, but not on this track. or anything carl has done
recently. even after the sh*t i talked on "sandstorms" when he
released it, after hearing it on a loud system i understood what he
was doing. and really, this remix is in that same vein as that track,
and the angel/darkness 12". he definitely seems to have a new
production style, its very sleek and dark and really is meant to be
experienced on a dancefloor with a good sound system. i dont think
that detracts from the quality of music he's doing.

> I didn't like "Angola" either, nor "Jaguar" (the blueprint for this
> sort of stuff).

i dont know what to tell you about not liking angola. thats as hands
down a classic track as has come out in the past 5 years. i dont
necessarily see any connection to jaguar other than the fact that
jaguar peaks late in the track. its pretty high energy the whole way
before that though.

tom