We've got a 50 pint (6.25 Gallon) dehumidifier in our basement and it's
super dry.  There is evidence that the previous owner had some moisture
issues and some mold but they had a big closet that I ripped out and got
some airflow going on.

They work very well.  If you get ones with auto humidistat control you can
program how much (by percentage) humidity you want to remain in the air (or
at what point you want the machine to kick in).  Well worth having just for
saving your basement from moisture issues.

And tomorrow on This Old House...

MEK

             "Thomas D. Cox,
             Jr."
             <[EMAIL PROTECTED]                                          To
             il.com>                   313@hyperreal.org
                                                                        cc
             02/22/06 09:24 AM
                                                                   Subject
                                       Re: (313) late again.

On 2/22/06, Stoddard, Kamal <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> What you want is a 10 gallon dehumidifier. Nothing is worse for your
> records than mold. And don't mess around, it only takes one damp evening
> in the summer and your records become a garden. Just get a good one and
> make sure to dump it regularly. Hope it helps a little.

how well do those things work? with something like cardboard record
sleeves, i wouldnt mess around at all. id never even consider putting
my records in the basement.......

tom