Yo I went to see him perform with his new artist "tamar" last Thursday
and got a sweet surprise. I was ten feet from the stage so I had a great
view of the show. Tamar was awesome. She did a ton of covers of old
classics that only real full throated SINGERS (as opposed to mere
performers) can pull off right. Some in attendance felt she was trying a
bit too hard, but then you would too if this was your proving ground and
your mentor was prince. Then she left the stage to get changed and
prince let us in on one of the classic tunes he swore last year he
wouldn't do ever again. The venue was pretty intimate compared to the
stadium's he's played, so when he asked how many of his music club
members were in attendance, I'm sure he really felt overwhelmed when
more than 3/4 of the audience raised their hands. He was visibly moved
by the display (lasted a couple minutes)and he proceeded to tell us, "I
know I said I wouldn't, but this is gonna be between me and Atlanta.
Nobody's got to know about this." Then he proceeded to kick into purple
rain. He did a bunch of his classic material and was so on form it was
frightening. He is a guitar god. I was supposed to hook up with three
other friends and the next day they both said they came in looking for
friends and before they could find us prince had them spellbound and
they forgot until after. Fxcking life changing. They rocked from midnite
till almost three am. No other performers at all. Oh yeah, he did
Michael jackson's "shake your body down to the ground". THEN he says,
"you can't do the brother without the sister and he goes into janet
jackson's "what have you done for me lately?". Dope. Overall he seemed
to be really feeling the classic funk/soul sound more than anything and
if the direction he's pushing his new artist in is any indication, he's
got it together and is just playing his cards as he always has...his
way.

Kamal "still haven't heard the new one" Stoddard