Of course, for me, the idea of paying hundreds of dollars for
something that REQUIRES you  to have turntables in order to mix is
kind of crazy.  That only makes sense in Ubercoolische world, where
the DJ equipment is something you specify in a rider, not something
you haul up and down stairs.

Once you learn to beat match in one medium it shouldn't be that hard
to transfer the skills to a new one. IMHO.

   I disagree slightly with your view on the Serato / FS systems ..

   I have mixed on nearly every system available to beat match and
   pitch mix.  I like all of them and would agree with the recommendation
   of the Pioneer CDJ series.

   Pioneer for all their little audio deficiencies, make very reliable gear that
   survives everything short of a Vodka Orange left to corrode circuits.

   The looping options are always quick and easy to use, with some of the
   models providing on the fly loop adjustment, loop memory .. etc etc.

   In regards to the Serato / FS systems .. I don't think you should underrate
   the tactile nature of a Turntable.

   One of the biggest issues with driving software ' or any digital system
   is the 'interface'.  While the Pioneer CDJ1000 is pretty good for giving
   you hands on control of music tracks .. I find a Turntable is still one of
   the most physically rewarding mediums of control.

   The bonus of linking a Turntable into software is that you can access all
   the additional functions that digital provides :: Looping, FX 'cue memory.

   Obviously you can learn the feel and intuition of any system, but the
   biggest problem I see facing most digital musicians is the interface.

   The physical nature of playing a real instrument allows the artist to add
   all sorts of flavor into their performance.

   While I love digital and the extra dimension of 'tweak' the access to the
   'tweak' is still a little clumsy or not as fluent as with familiar devices.

   To feel the weight of a Direct Drive Turntable under fingers is not really
   a comparison to the weight of a CDJ jog dial.  I think DJ's are lucky that
   digital has been brought to our old medium of control in such a quick
   and seamless fashion.

   However all things are learned ' and all systems have potentials that
   others do not .. and spending time with equipment is the best way to
   get the most out of it.

   Ideally I like to have Turntables & CDJ's and use everything ' hot starts
   loops ' and the run run crackle pop of vinyl ' its all toys ' its all good.

    ..

   Common failures I have seen on CDJ gear is the buttons. Primarily
   the Cue button which gets hit the most.  Another less common issue
   is the jog wheels getting jammed with dirt / grit / ash ..

   Beyond that I have bounced them on the road, poured liquid through
   them with out much of an issue ' other than cleaning and gaffer tape.

   And at the end of the day ' all you want it to do is work when you need it.

   .simon