memories and respect must endure hardships and defeat to define something classic and outlast time.

juan i think youre right -

From: "john arnold" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
CC: 313@hyperreal.org
Subject: RE: (313) montreux vs movement
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2006 19:16:17 -0400

How long will it take movement/demf (memorial day weekend electronic festival) to have the integrity of the labor day jazz festival? Will techno have to gain the respect that jazz has--like if it gets its own section in public libraries as jazz does before techno is considered something for intellectuals? 20 years or so?? Does having a rave in heart-plaza make people who are not into underground electronic music hate us fans even more?

Coming from a jazz and an electronic background I can give you some insight into this. Fisrt off, most people don't give a f+++ about jazz........ just as much as they don't give a f+++ about techno;-0

I can also remember being at a meeting for the Detroit Jazz Fest. (the second year of DEMF) and the big concern was budget. Ford had pulled a lot of sponsorship money from Montreux Detroit and put it into DEMF!!! FOR REAL!!! The year after Montreux became the Ford International Jazz Fest.........
Shocking............

I am pretty sure the only thing a sponsor cares about is selling you there product and respect of music has nothing to do with that.

Montreux Switz has also been around for a long, long time. They have really earned there rights, as will DEMF............give it some time.