Probably a dumb question, but the guys that play later time slots, close
the night etc...do they get paid more money?
-----Original Message-----
From: Stoddard, Kamal [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, 19 May 2006 3:14 a.m.
To: disrupt; Thomas D. Cox, Jr.
Cc: 313@hyperreal.org
Subject: RE: (313) a question regarding DEMF and the history of Detroit
techno

I agree that influences are ubiquitous. The question here is about the
weighting of importance. Using your own analogy, even though all the
early guys have basically admitted to trying to imitate italo trax when
coming up with "the detroit techno sound" I would find it just as odd to
see the Rome Italo Fest(hypothetical event, don't pm me asking when it
takes place :) headlined by cybotron while the originators of the italo
sound pushed to play at noon. Even though they definitely took the italo
sound and helped it grow into something more. I really would think it
odd. Same thing here. Nobody's arguing for the exclusion of detoit
influenced artists who are relevant to the sound we love, but the
argument is that first priority should be given to the originators, then
the hometown sound pushers, then the out of town sound pushers, and
LASTLY the filler sideshow acts (breakcore, trance acts, etc). even
though I know some feel that it has absolutely no place at the fest, I'd
put money down that it wouldn't be much of an issue if they were all
given the early slots and the respect chain was obvious. Now for all I
know, paxahaus may have all the respect in the world for the real D
(hell, rob hood anyone?) but I'm saying it's not as obvious as it should
be in the lineup. A simple case of them not putting the money where
their mouth is (in the hands of Detroit techno). I mean correct me if
I'm wrong, but does anyone here think that POTD and the rest are really
relevant to Detroit?