On 05/06/2006, at 8:17 PM, Dan Bean wrote:

@ken - loose lips sink ships!

@cyclone - I know what you're saying, and your Brixton experience sounds unpleasant. I was just comparing DEMF press arrangements to last year, where press passes allowed access all areas. I was able to wander about, chatting to people I needed to speak to, without any problems. Everyone seemed happy with this arrangement.

What I meant by heavy handed, if you can call it that, is heightened supervision. But in current circumstances I can sort of understand that. I think that's normal with big events. Brixton was OK! I talked to heaps of kids who were into hip-hop, but come 2 am it is v quiet! I got stranded in downtown Detroit once too at 4 am! ;)

The press people last year (Jay Dolata and his crew from Brogans) went out of their way to help me hook up with people who I had trouble reaching (e.g. Juan). Their attitude was: 'this member of the press can help me generate positive publicity for the festival, I'll help them since it helps us'. Paxahau's attitude seemed to be 'stop bothering us, you're probably trying to rip us off in some way'.

As for security and knowing who I was, there was no problem with this since they issued the (practically worthless) pass following my production of ID and an accreditation letter from my employers.

Sorry about the rant, but the main reason for me being out there was to publicise the festival and give it and 313 music some much needed exposure in the UK. I foudn their attitude mystifying, not to mention infuriating.

Of course what you don't know is that Paxahau is actually chief nanny of Brangelina's new baby, which is where he derived funds from the festival from, hence the security measures. ;) You could have been stealing in there on the pretext of being a music reporter but really be taking surreptitious photos to sell to National Enquirer, you dig? Everyone just thinks they're hiding out in Namibia but they're really in Detroit.