one thing not mentioned so far: hard disc failure!
a hard disc failure in your head might lead to some failure of your external hard disc you use to store your music data! from my personal experience: when i upgraded to tiger on my ibook i had some trouble with photoshop which i thought back then resulted in some missing os9 partition on my hd. stupid and impatient as i am i had the idea to install this os9 part on my external 250 gd hd which left me with a non-accessable disk!!! after searching for help in all macuser forums i finally bought "data rescue" and "disk warrior" for about 100 $ us each... disk warrior helped me recover the files and now i have three quarters of the files with proper names like they used to be an one quarter named like: M01215.mp3, M01216.mp3, M01217.mp3... and whenever i have some spare time i spend it on putting the proper names to the files... still about 1.500 files to be checked... lucky enough i never sold the vinyls and cds - so in the end i'll suceed. got me some 2nd hd for backup in the meantime...
you don't usually have those problems with vinyl!
regarding the fact that not every one's as stupid as i am (lucky enough) this might be just a small aspect of the discussion. one last off topic remark: it's moodymann on the 7th, akufen on the 8th and a m-nus night on the 22nd of september over here - just in case you're planning some trip....
cheers
roman/berlin