Kent say:

> > a. gross generalisations or sweeping judgements

These are always wrong, even if they're right.

------------------

> > b. equating one's opinions with fact

This is probably the most annoying, asinine and snarkiest of the problems.
We all feel like we can 'spot' quality in some universal sense when we hear it,
but anyone capable of thinking past their own nasal passages should realize
that there's a LOT of subjectivity involved in  how *I* feel the music versus
how *you* feel (and I stress 'feel') it. Even if you are able to articulate,
diagram and argue what it is you think is objectively 'good', it doesn't make
your notion some sort of universal standard nor does it make anyone who does
not bow before it a lesser being. Having said that, we all practice
discrimination in taste and find certain forms of music 'lesser' and 'greater'
on the hierarchy, which is one of the reasons this list and others like it
exist.
Unless one is a phenomenologist (which, in my opinon, assumes unproven too much
about commonality in substance, perception and medium), there really is no
excuse for it. It's one thing to feel (like I certainly do) that x is better
than y, but quite another to argue rationally as though everyone else has to do
so.

--------------------------

> > c. ripping the "scene", like other musicians, labels etc without having a
> >right to ie: being one, having one or being active in making the "scene"
> >grow.....
>
> A and B bear repeating. C I'm not 100% down with, because I don't
> believe you have to be part of something to pass judgement on it.

I would agree with you on this Kent - with one qualifier.
All opinions are not created equal; arguments can more be and less credible. We
all pass judgment on things of which we aren't part and parcel, but there are
certainly different qualifications for how much weight I will give opinions
based on their source's experience, credentials, expertise, and (here's a big
one for me) the person's ability to see or present him/herself as able to see
and handle major dissenting opinions to theirs, etc. Everyone has the right to
an opinion, but the privilege to be heard  and, furthermore, considered is
earned. Or not.

                                                      jeff