On 8/31/06, kent williams <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Tom, time and again, you make no concessions to anyone else's taste.
While I like the stuff you like, and can listen to you DJ all the live
long day and enjoy nearly every track, I like a lot of stuff you
don't.  I think I get what appeals to you about what you like, but
there's more than one way to the top of the mountain.

really what it boils down to for me is that i feel like any
appreciation for production value and things of that ilk are
completely separate from the appreciation of the music. personally, i
love Chic's piano sounds. but its not that that makes me go nuts when
their tunes are played, its how ridiculously brilliant all their
records are.

And I don't totally get your thesis in this discussion. Music
technology either matters (which is what you seem to be saying when
you complain about computer-produced music) or it doesn't (which is
what you seem to be saying when you talk about people making great
music, simply).

ill try to be specific here. it SHOUDLN'T matter, if people have the
right goal in mind. the reason it does matter is because using a
computer opens you up to over production and all the other follies
that afflict software prodction. for those things to happen in a
hardware studio, youd pretty much have to be a millionaire and not
care about how much you spend. it seems to be a temptation that way
too few people are able to overcome. why that is, im not entirely
sure.

I think the truth of the matter is more complicated than that.  People
evaluate Electronic Music in terms of sound design, in addition to the
more traditional attributes of rhythm, melody, harmony, and structure.
 If you want to advance the state of the art, you try and build
something, either in the world or in your computer, that makes a new
sound.  To do this  new technology is important.  Where artistry and
talent come into play is in finding, manipulating, and arranging new
sounds in a way that's pleasing to listeners.  Believe me, I've spent
hours and hours making 'sounds never heard before' in my studio, and
most of them are awful.

exactly. and what happens when every timbre ever has been explored and
beaten into the ground? will that fascination finally end?

there's alot of sound possibilities, but compared to the range of
human emotions it is very limited. exploring those emotions is what is
interesting to me, and for me that rarely if ever happens through a
sound alone. usually it has to do with a specific sound in its proper
place, and i can think of maybe 20 instances of that in all music ive
ever listened to. and it definitely had more to do with everything
else going on in the song at the time than just the sound design.

But the sounds you use isn't the only factor in producing music -- you
need to consider things like rhythm, structure, and harmony, the
balance between repetition and novelty, and production technique.
More important than any one of those properties is whether the artist
has anything to say through the music.  An artist's music, to be truly
worth listening to, needs to be something more than beats, notes, and
noises.  You can call it 'soul' but it's not a narrow, Ray Charles
definition of Soul.

i agree with all of this exactly.

It's more a sense that the music is inhabited by
something, something that speaks to _your_ soul.  Something that can't
be reduced to formula and reproduced at will.  And even if that spark
is there, there's no guarantee that you'll respond to it. Everybody
needs to find what speaks to their condition.  Aesthetics can never be
absolute.

i dont think i agree with this part though. i feel like truly great
music speaks to all people, reguardless of what their "taste" might
be. for example, as a favor at our wedding, my wife and i made mix
CDs. the number of people whom have commented to us about them since
then is insane. they really LOVE them. and the first track is carl
craig's "a wonderful life"! theres tracks from 50s r+b to disco to
techno to rock on there. and the songs are such that they speak to the
peoples' souls directly. and we got comments from people from age 11
to age 70. music is probably the most universal language there is for
the human species. the best music does the same thing, reguardless of
who made it or where it comes from.

On the subject of production values . Guys like Larry Heard may have
not obsessed over the latest gear, and made music very simply, but
it's a mistake to say that they didn't spend considerable time and
energy on getting the production right.  Larry is a perfect example of
this.  He may just have a drum machine and a couple of synths going
into a track, but they sound really, really, good.  I know the
machines Larry Heard used on his early tracks, and believe me, you
can't just plug them into a Mackie 1202 and have something that sounds
that good come out.   There are plenty of closely guarded production
tricks in dance music. You find that out if you get serious about
producing tracks.

exactly! and if its not easy to do right with a synth and a drum
machine, it must be even crazier to do with the complex stuff on a
computer! which is why keeping it simple is good, you can get right to
the point with the least amount of mucking about in things that arent
as important. which gives you time to spend on the things that ARE
important.

What it comes down to is this: It's the person, not the tools, that
makes any art special.  The fact that a bunch of clueless raver kids
can string a few loops in Acid or Live has absolutely nothing to do
with what real artists are doing.  Most of the music that gets isn't
any good, and a lot of it that is good isn't to your particular taste,
or mine.

the kids doing crap in acid or live arent even what really irritates
me. making nonsense halfassedly is only annoying. its the people who
spend HOURS on their bass sound, or the EQ ing of their drums (drum
and bass anyone?) and spend maybe 5 seconds on what actually might
make their track interesting (the structure, the melody, just doing
something different in general). and that kind of thing is rampant in
NYC house, prog house, dnb, "minimal" techno, and many other dance
genres. ill take the random 303 patterns from taking the batteries out
any day.

tom