Little bit of pondering material on this one:
I asked about the album at Piccadilly at the weekend.
I felt a bit daft at not really having heard of them, picking up that old 12,
saying "hey this is good" and being told after
enquiring about the LP I'd seen on Discogs that this was a recent highlight.
Yet it went totally under my radar - I assumed this
was because I might have ignored it since it wasn't on vinyl (though I would
usually have noticed it in Piccadilly's e-mail).
"Did you have that Connection Machine album in on Downlow?"
"Hmmm I don't remember it though I would have thought we would have had
it......?"
"It was a CD only thing"
"Oh that's it then, we wouldn't have bothered with it"
So although it might have been more suited to a CD release there's those like
me that tend to concentrate on vinyl and then shops
that either think the vinyl would have done better or don't take as much notice
of a CD only release.  Maybe (as daft as I guess it
is) CD only stuff (especially from a label that does release vinyl) doesn't get
taken as seriously.  So although vinyl's pricier to
do maybe it's going to have hidden benefits in raising the whole profile of the
release/artist.
Not much help if you just plain can't afford to spend the money on doing the
vinyl but interesting.